Group Chairman – Alhaji (Dr.) Bawa Garba TURAKIN GARKIDA
Born in Garkida, Adamawa State, Alhaji (Dr.) Bawa Garba is the Founder & Group Chairman. From the young age of seven, Dr. Garba was already initiated
into the art of business transactions under the tutelage of his father which exposed him to invaluable experience and in 1966 he set up to the famous Arewa Commercial Institute (an advancement class for commercial subjects) in Northern Nigeria.
In 1972 he incorporated Arewa Advancement Enterprises Limited which grew to an appreciable and inspiring height owing to his hard-work, dedication and self-discipline. In 1979, Dr. Garba solely financed, organized and brought to being the first International Trade fair in Nigeria i.e. the “Kaduna International Trade Fair”. To make the fair a success, he invited over 95 German, British and American companies to participate. In appreciation of Dr. Garba’s pioneering efforts and the huge successes of the fair, the Federal Government of Nigeria invested over US $30 million to build the permanent site for Kaduna International Trade Fair.
As a lover of sports, who is currently a golfer, he has used his material and human resources to encourage and develop sports in Nigeria. ABG Group of companies floated a football club between 1981 and 1987 – ranked to National Level, Division II of the Nigerian Football Association. It was in recognition of this important role that he was appointed the Chairman of Kaduna State sports Council.
Alhaji Bawa Garba is Chairman of several reputable organizations including:
- Nationwide Unity Transport Limited (Owners and Operators of Abuja Green Buses)
- Nationwide Leasing and Finance Company Limited
- Nationwide Investment Limited, Sudan
- ABG Communications Limited
- Kaduna Expo international Limited
- National Public Transport Company, Sudan
- ABG Oil & Gas Limited
- ABG Energy generation Limited.
As a philanthropist who is also noted for his joviality and cool-headiness, Alhaji Bawa Garba has not only donated financially to various community development projects, but has also awarded many scholarships to several students in various institutions.
Dr. Bawa Garba’s Awards include:
- Honorary doctorate degree in Business Administration by Kensington University, Glendale California USA
- Honored by the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASEI) for his contribution in the field of electronics.
- Merit Award from the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Electronics and Communications Engineering in Nigeria.
- Honored by Kaduna State Students’ Union Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria for his outstanding contributions towards the development of Kaduna State.
- Honorary Fellowship of the Nigerian Institute of Science and Technology (NIST)
- Merit award from the Nigerian Institute of Journalists (NIJ).
- The District Head of Garkida, Gombi Local Government of Nigeria, his home, honored him for his outstanding contribution towards the development of Garkida town, Gombi Local Government of Nigeria and Adamawa State with the title of “Turakin Garkida”.